Monday, December 18, 2006

The Most Important Lessons I have Learned While at College

Hey Everybody!
Seeing that I am about head off to my last final of the semester, and that I have only one more (!) semester to go, I think it's a good idea to write down the most important life lessons that I have learned at college. These are ten life lessons that I know will help me later on in life

1. God will ALWAYS provide all that you need. For those of you who don't know my testimony, I grew up in a home with Christian parents who demonstrated Christ to me and my siblings. Starting in kindergarten, and continuing through twelfth grade, I attended the private Christian School run by the church that my father pastors. When it came time to choose a college, I prayed to the Lord that I would only be accepted into the college that He wanted me to attend. I applied to two colleges. The University that I attend accepted me, while the other school I applied to wait listed me. I took that as a sign that I was to attend the college, so I did, and after 3 1/2 years here, I am confident I made the right decision.
Now, the college I attend is a public university in the Northeast. I come from an Evangelical Christian home. My family is morally, socially, and politically conservative. My campus is NOT. In fact, it's claim to fame is Spring Weekend, when the vast majority of the students get hammered, and start riots. It's also ranked as one of the most gay-friendly campuses in the country. As I told some people, going to college from my home was like traveling from Jerusalem to a mixture of Babylon, Ancient Rome and Sodom. (You get the picture!)
I was, and still am, an outspoken person when it comes to my faith in Jesus. I would, and still do on occasion, walk around my campus singing old hymns and gospel music at the top of my lungs while on my way to class in the morning. Many of my floormates were incredibly hostile to me and my faith in Jesus. A group of them tried everything they could to destroy me, including lying about me and vandalizing my property, but by the grace of God, I was able to show love to these young men, and God is drawing some of them to Him. There were times when I was sorely tempted to smash some people's faces in, but instead I went to the Lord in prayer, and He gave me the strength and grace that I needed to go through.
2 While God will provide all that You need, He will not always provide all that you want. There are certain things that I have wanted that God has said no to because they were not and are not in His plan for my life. While this lesson has been painful at times, I am happy because learning these lessons now is better than learning them later
3 Listen to your parents- especially if you have parents who are saved- Chances are they will probably be right. I am so grateful that Mom and Dad taught me about the Lord, because I was able to rely on my relationship with Him when times got tough. I am also thankful for the standards that Dad and Mom put up. I have never been to a college party in my 3 1/2 years because my parent's standards have become my own in many situations. Actually the standards are not my parent's or mine, but the Lord's. My Parents taught me well. I just hope that I can be as good a parent to my children (Should the Lord tarry) when I get married and have a family
4 I went to college with the delusion that all Conservative Republicans (correction-most Republicans) were Godly people who loved Jesus and had high moral standards and that most Democrats were evil, tree worshiping hippies who hated God and had no moral standards. College very quickly removed that idea from my head. I have met many a dedicated Christians who happen to be Democrats and have met many Republicans who are mean, nasty vile people who do not show the love of Jesus I guess the life lesson I learned was that Conservative Republican does not equal righteous, and Liberal Democrat does not equal evil necessarily. Yes I have met some Liberals who hate God and his standards, but I've also met some who truly love the Lord and dont agree with the Liberal posittions on issues like abortion and gay marriage
5 The last important lesson I have learned at college is the importance of Christian fellowship. When I was attending the Christian High School I did nt have many friends my age who were following the Lord, but it was ok because I had my parents and the adults at my church there to encourage me to do what is right. When I got to college and I was the only Christain on my floor and one of two Christians that I knew in my dorm, it was lonely until I went to the Campus Crusade meeting and met others who were following God. The brothers and sisters at Crusade were a tremendous blessing to me and they were in many ways my lifeline as the provided much of the on-campus support that I needed in my walk. Just getting to know these folks and knowinng that I was not alone was a huge encouragement to me.
These are the five major life lesson sthat I have learned while I have been at collge. I know that there are other lessons that God will have to teach me. My prayer is that I learn them quickly and that He teaches me me all that I need to know in His time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know that #1 on your list really ministered to me last night, and again today.

Thanks, brother.