Friday, November 24, 2006

Poll Questions 1

This is the first in a series of poll questions on totally random topics. This poll is very unscientific, but I am interested in what you all have say
Here goes
List your ten favorite Christian (Non-Christmas) Hymns, and explain why they are your favorites
My Ten from first to tenth
1. Great is Thy Faithfulness
2. His Eye is on the Sparrow
3. It is Well With my Soul
4. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
5. Amazing Grace
6. Precious Lord, Take My Hand
7. There is a Fountain Filled With Blood
8. When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
9. Standing on the Promises
10. He Hideth my Soul

These are just a sampling of the hymns I love. I have many more
I love these songs because they preach the Gospel of Jesus Chriust in a way that words alone sometimes can't. During my freshman year I sang "Great is thy Faithfulness" at an open mic event. There are unsaved people who still remember that four years later, and all I did was sing. When we sing these old hymns from our hearts it does something for people. Take a look at the words of these songs, and think about why thay are still so powerful even today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... So many hymns, so few (ten) options! Oh, well. Among my favorites (sorry, kiddo, can't possibly arrange them in order of preference; that's sort of like picking one favorite Scripture passage: it really depends on the particular circumstance at a particular moment in time):

Beneath the Cross of Jesus
O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing
Rejoice, the Lord is King
Holy, Holy, Holy
How Firm a Foundation
Ask Ye What Great Thing I Know
Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
Sing Praise to God Who Reigns Above
Be Still My Soul

It occurs to me as I look over the list that these are hymns I grew up with in Methodist churches; we seldom sing them now. I love the music we do worship with, but this exercise is making me wish for the old hymms a bit more often. You are right about the lyrics being what makes them timeless.

Anonymous said...

so i just found your blog :) hi :) and this is one of my favorite subjects sooo: (in no particular order)

-holy holy holy
-and can it be
-arise, my soul, arise
-Christ the Lord is risen today
-how sweet the name of Jesus sounds
-it is well with my soul
-Jesus! what a Friend for sinners
-just as i am
-my Jesus, i love Thee
-when i survey the wondrous cross

Anonymous said...

The problem with this particular poll is that since I commented the other day, all these other hymns that I really love came to mind. I am obsessive enough (aha! NOW you have an excuse! heh-heh) that I now have to list them for you, or I will go quite bonkers. So here is list 2:

Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus
A Mighty Fortress is Our God
When Morning Gilds the Skies
This is My Father's World
We Gather Together
He Hideth My Soul
Be Thou My Vision
In the Cross of Christ I Glory
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
Higher Ground